Thursday, November 16, 2006

Dirty Dancing: Fun Film


Every girl has seen this movie, at least all of my girlfriends have. This is a great movie to watch when you're feeling down. It's fun, light and easy without boring you. Summer love is the best. For me, the best part of the film is the narration in the beginning, it gets the movie going with a nostalgic tone. Baby is adorable and Johnny Castle is dreamy. I love Baby's relationship with her family, being the more liberal, progressive one. Is this movie quality? No. That being said, the dancing is really quite good and the soundtrack is a lot of fun. This movie touches on what it is like to disobey your family, and beat the odds(as Baby does by dancing as well as does). It also reflects on the importance of selflessness, love, friendship and acceptance. I love at the end of the film when you see Baby's parents in the audience, smiling at how proud they are of their daughter, who, may I add, they spent the majority of the movie disagreeing with. A lot of people find Patrick Swayze very dreamy in this movie, but I can't laughing at him. He IS a great dancer, but it’s just hard to keep a straight face—boys who dance make me laugh, I don’t know. The movie is generally uplifting and leaves you wishing you could dance like they do. It also leaves you wishing you could get back to 1963! On that note, the greatest quote from the film is… “That was the summer of 1963 - when everybody called me Baby, and it didn't occur to me to mind. That was before President Kennedy was shot, before the Beatles came, when I couldn't wait to join the Peace Corps, and I thought I'd never find a guy as great as my dad. That was the summer we went to Kellerman's.”

buy the movie: amazon.com/dirtydancing

No comments: