Thursday, November 16, 2006

Airplane!

Airplane! (1980)

“Airplane!” is an instant classic when it comes to satires. There are few movies that have made me laugh as much as this one. Unlike most satires which spoof off of other movies, “Airplane!” pokes fun at societal issues and the government around its time. It also includes the satire-king, Leslie Nielson, who has starred in many other satires as well.

Basically, “Airplane!” is about the relationship of Ted Striker (Robert Hays), a former military pilot, and Elaine (Julie Hagerty), a flight attendant. However, when the pilots and most of the passengers on board the airplane eat bad fish and get sick, it is up to Ted Striker to fly the plane and land it safely.

What makes this movie so funny is that it takes some of America’s most serious issues and presents them in a way that makes people laugh. So, although the movie is funny, it still has a clear message to society. For example, one of the issues that it pokes fun at is racism, a huge issue that was largely ignored at that time.

I have been watching “Airplane!” since I was a little kid, and it has always been one of my all time favorites, even though I did not understand about 90-100% of the jokes at the time, it was just plain funny in a silly way that made he laugh. When I watch it now, I understand what it makes fun of, and that makes me laugh even more. On the whole, “Airplane!” is a movie that can relate to all ages, which is why I encourage everybody to see it if you have not already.

No comments: