Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Labyrinth

Labyrinth is about a fifteen-year-old girl, Sarah who is obsessed with fairy tales. The story takes a weird twist however when she accidentally wishes her baby half brother, Toby away to the Goblin King. In order to get her brother back she has to complete his labyrinth in thirteen hours.


In my opinion, this girl is extremely whiny… she whines and complains all through the opening, without much reason. I feel like the first half of the movie is a complete pity party for her. The film involves puppets, and, wait for it, David Bowie. Yes, that’s right, David Bowie, sporting quite a mullet if I do say so myself. So of course there has to be singing.

The film and the characters themselves are..kooky is the best word for it. The plot tries to be menacing, but at it’s heart it is a children’s film, so the music adds a comedic element to the scenes.

Overall it was a little confusing as to why exactly David Bowie—er, the Goblin King, wanted the baby… perhaps an heir? The best purpose seemed to be to get Sarah involved. Regardless, the scene where him, all of his goblins, and the baby dance was priceless and it was a reason, if any, to watch the film.

The film was alright, it seems to be a classic in certain cults; the people who do know about it and watch it love it. I feel like I would have enjoyed it better though if I had a child, younger sibling, or someone I was babysitting to watch it with. Kids would enjoy this film, and if you were a kid when you first saw this film then you would enjoy this film. For the most part though, I feel like it would definitely be more enjoyable watching the film with a group of people so that everyone can all laugh at the ridiculousness of it together.

1 comment:

Vladigogo said...

Recently watched this with my daughter, she was not into it at all. Although, she did like NEVERENDING STORY.