Monday, May 30, 2011

Coming to America (1988) "No journey is too great when one finds what he seeks."

“There is a very fine line between love and nausea.” –King Joffer



Well, I really loved; from where I was, the adore-puke line was not even visible! This movie is all about Akeem (Eddie Murphy), prince of Zamunda, leaving his palace because he wants to find a wife that has an opinion, unlike the barking, hopping woman he is supposed to marry. He travels to Queens (because that is where one would find a queen…duh!) with his friend and servant, Semmi (Arsenio Hall) and finds his true love and bride. But really, the plot was not what made this movie wonderful -it was the hilarity. I found myself laughing, often.

The individual scenes, varying characters, and quotable lines were amazingly funny. Some of the scenes did play off of stereotypes, but in an inoffensive way. So whether it be the moment at the palace when African-style, barely- clad performers put on a choreographed dance to drums or the times at the barbershop listening to the arguments between the older, witty Jewish man and the older, ‘all-knowing’ African American barbers, it was pure entertainment. The characters were really clever. I really like how Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall played multiple, varying characters. These minor characters with a range of attitudes, make-up, accents, and costumes really helped make the film; it was kind of fun to try to find them in all their different roles throughout the film.


The movie also had references to other movies, which I must say, I was very proud of myself that I noticed. So the elephant was named Babar and the bums were from the movie Trading Places (which also starred Murphy) and they made references to the flick. As for the script, I have never heard anyone say “yes, yes, fuck you too!” as happily as it was said in this movie, which I think basically says it all. Even the joke in the credits was funny. The only problem I had with the film was the dead animals, like a giant lion, that the royalty wore. I mean come on, who really wants to wear a lion? And poor kitty!


joke in credits:




I do not think the movie really gets across one of its life lessons, the one about how someone can actually be too rich and the whole money doesn’t buy you happiness thing. Well, I say bologna! It actually made me want to be rich (I really want zebras frolicking across my gigantic garden), but with the determination to still perform a majority of my daily activities myself. Except for tying my shoes…I agree that it is sort of an overrated experience. Anyways, I know everyone needs a chuckle break in our hectic world and this movie is the perfect way to do that. The outfits and hair may be totally 80’s but the humor definitely traverses time. So, watch this movie (this is kind of an order)!


No comments: