Friday, May 20, 2011

Don na don na don na don na BATMAN

Batman - 1989

I am shamed to say that I have never seen this particular Batman movie
from start to finish without interruption. I remember catching
glimpses of it in years past but I have never really had the
opportunity to watch the film in full.

In this Batman film the caped crusader is introduced to his first real
long time arch enemy, the Joker. This film is the first installment of
the series, and so it must establish Bruce Wayne's character and his
back story. In this day and age Batman is pretty well known, it's a
household name and the films have been remade since then, but the
story as a whole is a classic. The Batman story is one that I believe
will last through time. I'm not sure about the individual movies in
particular... Because the storyline has been remade and reused with
cartoons, different comic book story lines, multiple TV shows (the
justice league including), and the current new Batman movies, the
Batman movie of the 80's may dwindle down in viewings through the
generations. I believe that the film will stand as a classic, but that
if it wants to be known by younger generations it will need to rely on
the parents from the past generations to show it to their children.

I enjoyed seeing the 80’s take on the classic characters. I thought that this particular Bruce Wayne was lacking something slightly… but once he put on the mask everything seemed more right. I definitely liked the newer version of Bruce Wayne as opposed to the 80’s one because it seemed to better show the Bruce/ Batman overlaps with the character, rather than just the seemingly “innocent” side of Bruce.

The character of the Joker surprised me, most likely because I just wasn’t ready or prepared for Jack Nicholson…yet, I still believe he did a pretty good job, and it was also interesting to look up and watch his personal opinions about the new Batman films.

Something that was especially nice was the presence of the Bat Plane, and the very classic, very recognizable, soundtrack for the film. Two things that are also lacking in the newer version of the films. The new soundtrack is dark and much more subtle compared to the classic original, but I still believe that it is something missed from the future versions of the Batman film series.

The Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AdEHOta-Uc

2 comments:

Kyra Wagner said...

Sorry-- I seriously don't know why some of my sentences seem to be broken up between lines... they seem fine before I publish them and then something strange happens in the publishing..?

Vladigogo said...

I noticed that. Really strange happenings.

Get your hyperlinks to work.