Monday, May 01, 2006

We have clearance, Clarence.


First I guess I should probably preface this by saying that I freaking love satirical comedies. That being said, I’m also a huge fan of stupid comedies, the ones with bad jokes and enough horrible puns to make you roll your eyes and laugh anyways because, lets face it, even after the 100th reference to bathroom humor, its still hilarious. Or maybe I’m just easily amused. Either way, I watched Airplane! and laughed the entire time. The movie makes fun of so many aspects of society: there’s the lovelorn war veteran following his ex-girlfriend half way around the world to prove that he’s still madly in love with her, the air traffic controller with a substance abuse issues, the basketball star co-pilot, the sick girl in the back of the plane who’s almost killed multiple times by the people trying to save her. And when people start to get deathly ill because of some bad airplane food, (which just begs the completely unrelated question of: is there ever such thing as good airplane food?) things just get funnier. It also makes fun of some of the disaster movies of the 70’s. I wouldn’t recommend this movie if you’re not a fan of stupid comedy, but honestly, watch it anyways. It’s a classic, one that everyone should see at least once in their lifetime. Even if you hate it, you will at least get a greater appreciation for the reason why I crack up whenever someone says they have a drinking problem.

No comments: