Monday, May 01, 2006

spaceballs: The Blog


In need of some serious de-stressing because of finals, my friends and I decided to have a movie night of completely hilarious comedies that only get better the more times you watch them. Spaceballs was of course included in the mix, because what’s a night of comedy without some Mel Brooks and humor manifested out of taking figures of speech and making them literal. (I’m also madly in love with Bill Pullman, but that’s a different story all together.) The combination of Mel Brooks, Rick Moranis, John Candy, Joan Rivers, and (how could I forget) Bill Pullman is magnificent. Each actor/actress is so perfectly cast nothing feels forced. The only awkwardness that’s noticed is what Brooks wants the audience to see, only the elements of awkwardness that contribute to the hilarity of the movie instead of any awkwardness that would take away from it. It seems that every time I watch this movie, I end up wishing it was longer than being only an hour and a half. It also makes me want a “Spaceballs: the t-shirt” t-shirt… or any merchandise from the movie (except of course the flame thrower… that’s just weird.) I grew up on a ridiculously unhealthy amount of Startrek, so this movie is right up my alley. And it should be up yours too, unless of course, you don’t like to laugh.

No comments: