Monday, May 01, 2006

Adventures in Babysitting



Inspired by Tom Cruise in class today, and since Nick already commented on Cocktail I decided to re-watch a classic Elizabeth Shue film Adventures In Babysitting. This was one of those films that I can remember loving when I was younger, and couldn’t wait until I was old enough to baby-sit so my adventures could begin (keep in mind I was probably 7 or 8 the first time I saw this film.)

Chris (Elizabeth Shue of Cocktail and The Karate Kid) decides to baby-sit for the Andersons after her boyfriend Mike (Bradley Whitford- The West Wing) stands her up for their date night. When the Anderson’s older son Brad finds out that Chris is babysitting he decides not to go out with his friend Daryl (Anthony Rapp – RENT). Freshman Brad has quite a crush on Senior Chris.


The night seems to be going relatively calmly until Chris’ crazy friend Brenda calls from a downtown Chicago bus station to say she’s stranded. Chris decides to take Sara and Brad with her to pick up Brenda and Daryl decides to come along. On the way into the city they get a flat tire, run into some mobsters, hit a frat party, discover Mike on a date with another woman, sing the blues at a jazz bar with a famous jazz singer, Sara meets her idol Thor (Vincent D'Onofrio – The Cell), The end up at the party their parents are at, manage to pay for the tire, get Brenda and all be home before their parents get back home.

Although a bit dated, I still enjoyed this film. Daryl has a lot of funny one-liners, and some of the situations are so ridiculous.

No comments: