Friday, March 05, 2010

Risky Business (1983)


As someone who generally avoids Tom Cruise, I think this class will turn out to be quite the adventure. I watched this movie as per my boyfriend's request since I usually force him to watch all these movies with me. I honestly had no idea what it was about because I, like most other people who haven't seen this movie, was only familiar with this tighty whitey dance scene. Basically, this movie is about is about Tom Cruise being so desperate to get laid that he hires a hooker, and then has to deal with the wrath of her pimp while becoming a pseudo-pimp himself. Wow. That's definitely not what I was expecting. There is, however, evidence that Tom Cruise was crazy before the majority of the world knew he was, which I was totally expecting.


This film is so 80s. The clothes, the music, the hookers. Seriously, is it just me, or did prostitutes show up a lot in 80s movies? Anyway, only an 80s movie would try to convince audiences that a high schooler could set up one a one night prostitution extravaganza and not have the cops called on him by his neighbors. Also, the movie kind of sends the message that being a pimp is a great way of life, given that there are no other pimps to compete with. Hey, all you need to do is get someone on the admissions board laid and you can get into Princeton with a 3.1 GPA. While this movie is certainly not the most realistic, it does provide for nice entertainment and the opportunity to marvel at how sort-of-normal Tom Cruise used to be.

No comments: