Wednesday, June 28, 2006

In space no one can hear you scream.....



Alien (1979)

My first time seeing Alien was an interesting experience. I had seen Aliens, and Alien Resurrection, so I had a feeling how it would end. I had heard about the famous “alien exploding out of the stomach”, and I loved the sequels. The original must be good. I was right, the original was very good! Does it hold up over time? Yes, and No. Yes the film holds up as a classic. No, it doesn’t hold up on the horror aspect, only because we are scared by different types of horror now, such as the torture horror of Saw and Hostel.Some rather cool things that I noticed about the film, was that there was pratically no musical score, the scenes that I could remember in which the film had music were minimal. Whenever, Ripley is being chased by the Alien, there is no music. Its also a genre bender as far as combining Sci-Fi, and Horror. Its distinctly an 80’s film, and only noticeable, because of the technology. It is supposed to be a Sci-Fi film, but we have already surpassed most of the computer technology displayed in the film. The only way they could keep track of the Captain of the ship was through a “blip” on a small 4 inch screen. The film is directed by Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Thelma and Louise), it stars Ian Holm (The Lord of the Rings, The Fifth Element), and Sigourney Weaver (Alien’s Sequels, Ghostbusters). I would recommend it to most people. Anyone who enjoys sci-fi films, and/or horror films should defiantly see it. Those who also enjoy classics would appreciate Alien. Any movie that can spawn 3 direct sequels, and one poorly done spin-off, with another one on the way, must have a good start, this proves to be true.

No comments: