Thursday, February 16, 2006

Tequila Sunrise


Go ahead and take a look at Tequila Sunrise if you want to get confused. Wow, what a complicated plot and convoluted story. I'll do the best I can to summarize this film. Mac is a drug dealer (we are led to believe that he is retired) and Nick is his best pal. Problem is, Nick is a cop--head of the narcotics unit, to be specific--and the pressure is on him to bust Mac. Throw in a woman (of course) whom they are both interested in, and let the fun begin.

I thought this would be more of an action/crime flick before I watched it. It's really not. It's a romance story in disguise. Both Mac and Nick and vying for the attention of the lovely restauranter played by Michelle Pfeiffer. The crime part never really develops, but all the apprehension and build-up to it makes you think it eventually will.

The big shoot-out scene at the end was a great disappointment to me. It ends too quickly, too simply and seems almost unrealistic. Mac has decided to turn himself in, but Hal (another cop who has been infringing on Nick's territory) doesn't believe him, so he starts shooting at him. The next thing we know, Nick has shot Hal in the back, and he falls down, dead. I thought there would be more than that.

Maybe I would warm up to this movie if I watched it more than once; I'm not sure. But, right now, it's not one of my favorites. I was disappointed, especially given the stellar cast: Mel Gibson, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Kurt Russell. I think this movie had the potential to be great. It had an original idea, and a great cast, but I just don't think it was executed too well.

No comments: