Monday, February 13, 2006

Great Scott! The Conclusion

The trilogy comes to a close....it's almost sad! When we meet up with our old friends Marty and Doc, Marty has just returned to 1955, and Doc has been transported back to 1885. Marty finds out that Doc is going to be killed by Buford Tannen, who is obviously a relative of Biff Tannen. So, our hero heads back a century to save him.

I am not a fan of westerns, so I was less than thrilled when I learned that the conclusion of this great trilogy would fall into that genre. However, I still managed to enjoy it, much more than I thought I would. It was just as funny, if not more so, than the first two movies. One of my favorite parts was when Doc and Marty used the other person's phrase: Doc says "I know, this is heavy" and Marty says "Great Scott!" That was hilarious!! Even though the movie is set in the west in 1885, there is so much more to the story than just that. I was pleased that I was able to enjoy it; this is probably the first western movie I have ever honestly liked and that is saying something!One significant difference between this movie and Parts I and II is that this one had a love story within it. I thought that was an interesting twist on the normal sci-fi, adventure flick. While I liked the additional story, I found myself never really liking Clara. I'm not sure why; I guess it may be because she came off as the typical damsel in distress (first with the runaway horses and then at the end on the train) who needs to be saved by a man. Also, towards the end, I didn't like that Clara was interfering with Doc and Marty's plan to get back to 1985. Sure, eventually, everything works out, but I didn't know that at the time.

I also found it interesting how Doc says he wants to destroy the time machine because it has caused nothing but disasters. After all, this is his invention, his creation and he wants to destroy it. His attitude towards seeing one's future before it happens has changed by the end of this film; he now feels that it is something that should not be tampered with. He says at the end "Your future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one." Doc does get his wish; his time machine gets destroyed by a train. But, it is funny to see Doc appear with a brand new time machine, which now runs on steam! I guess he can't ever bring himself to give up time travel, after all.

A trailer for the entire trilogy:

http://videodetective.com/trailer-preview.asp?customerid=97135&publishedid=9498

A trailer for the third movie:

http://videodetective.com/trailer-preview.asp?customerid=97135&publishedid=3262

1 comment:

Vladigogo said...

Thanks for taking us through the trilogy and clearly from your write up this trilogy is far superior to that other trilogy with the Hobbits.