Friday, October 20, 2006


The Princess Bride is possibly the greatest movie of all time. No, it is the greatest movie of all time. It is the only film that can successfully combine action, comedy, romance, and wit. As the grandfather so cleverly puts it, “Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...” I don’t even know where to begin to talk about this movie. Every moment of this movie and every word is perfectly placed. Every time I watch it I discover another wonderful line, or something I never realized before. It is the kind of movie that you watch over and over and it never gets old. It has been somewhat of a comfort movie for me.
The Princess Bride was adapted from the novel by William Goldman. This was on my mind this past time I watched it because I’m currently taking a film adaptations class. The novel is mainly centered around the grandson as an adult who went back to read the novel again, only to realize that the grandfather had drastically changed the story. In reality, the book that was read to him was mainly a historical document of the country of Gilder with the romance story just thrown in there. In the movie, however, this is never addressed. They are both charming in their own ways, and I strongly suggest both watching the movie and reading the book.

Quotable quotes:
“Life is pain, highness, anyone who tells you differently is selling something.”

“Inconceivable!”
“You keep using that word. I don’t think it means what you think it means.”

Grandfather: “When I was your age, television was called books.”

“We are men of action, lies do not become us”

“We’ll never survive”
“Nonsense. You’re only saying that because nobody ever has.”

No comments: