Tuesday, February 02, 2010

When Harry Met Sally (1989)



When Harry Met Sally is a classic “hate at first sight” love story. The beginning scene is an old couple talking about how they met and how they have been in love ever since. These small confessionals continue through the movie, punctuating that the film is about love and the various ways people come to recognize it.

Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan have a believable chemistry as a reluctant couple. The film follows the couple through around a dozen years of dislike, friendship, flirting, and finally, true love. Though they begin with a rocky start, the audience understands that they will end up together. After all, Harry (Crystal) from the get go states his belief that men and women can never be friends. Sex will always get in the way. The film definitely does well at providing support for Harry’s theory.

The confessionals of the elderly couples and humorous side stories are what make the movie for me. As much as I try, I can never really forgive Harry for freaking out and leaving after he and Sally finally got together. However, I do appreciate that Harry remains true to his character throughout the film. He is a non-committal man, and though he did get married, its dissolution forced him to return to his way of life at the beginning of the movie.

When Harry Met Sally
is a classic romantic comedy, but it wasn’t one of my favorites. Though the faked orgasm scene and “pecan pie” were amusing, I feel that there are funnier movies that came from the 80’s. I wouldn’t stop anyone from watching it, but I feel that there are better films out there that I could suggest in the romantic comedy genre, with more satisfying romantic and/or comedic elements.

1 comment:

Vladigogo said...

I forgot about hyperlinks.

Good hyperlink to the old people's stories.

And yes, "pecan pie" is a funny bit.

My wife and I still do that whenever we see a pecan pie.