Saturday, March 13, 2010

Risky Business


“Sometimes you gotta say “What the Fuck”, make your move”




I would say that turning your parents’ house into a brothel for a night to make some money is more than a Risky Business. That is simply one of the many predicaments that Joel Goodson gets himself into on a weekend where his parents are out of town.
If you asked a group of people what they knew about the movie, I’m sure many would talk about the famous scene where Tom Cruise is dancing in his underwear and sunglasses alone in his parents’ house. This scene was the only aspect of the film that I knew prior to watching the movie. I had no idea what it was about, where it took place or even why he was dancing.



This movie is your typical “guys” movie. From the prostitutes, to the parents being away, the parties, and the sex this movie screams teen flick. Nonetheless, I found that I was still able to connect and enjoy the film even though it started off really slowly. Tom Cruise makes his character believable and it is no wonder that this is the film that jumpstarted his career. The plot was fairly predictable but nonetheless entertaining. I found myself hysterically laughing and rolling my eyes as Phil Collins music played during the final sex scene. This is the kind of movie where you simply have to role with the punches. As unrealistic as it is for a high school student to pick up a prostitute and end up with her, at least audience members learn how easy it is to get into an Ivy League school such as Princeton with a 3.1 GPA.

Clips from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodVVtqmbZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlTGhe3YoE

No comments: