Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Breakfast Club

I had heard a lot about the famed Breakfast Club movie. Especially when I told people I had never seen it before and they proceeded to flip out on me as if I had insulted their mama. Well, don’t tell them this because I don’t want to cause any physical harm to myself, but I really wasn’t that impressed with the movie. The characters were all very stereotypical: the jock, the preppy popular girl, the nerd, the badass, and the freak. I did like how they all hated each other and were fighting right up until the principal came in. then they had a common enemy and suddenly they were united against him and were all defending one another. Even the weirdo girl who hadn’t talked yet. Another thing I thought was funny was that the sunglasses they’re all using in the film are back in style now, I have two pairs like that. Besides the characters being a stereotypical, the plot line behind them was too. The jock was pushed to excellence so he was stressed and hated his father. The badass was mean and rude because his dad was mean and rude to him. Aside from this, I did like how they all started to understand each other and help each other with their problems. One of my favorite scenes is when the jock persuades the weirdo to share her feelings. The shots in this movie were pretty cool too, like when the badass climbed up the stairs and the camera was angled through the staircase to show him resting on his arms. I also liked how the nerd asked everyone if they would still be friends tomorrow, and how it turned out that only him and the weirdo girl were good enough people to stay friends. Everyone else, even though they looked like better candidates, admitted they wouldn’t be able to be because of the friends they have now.

No comments: