Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Princess Bride (1987)

The Princess Bride did not interest me at all at first. I had it blown off as a silly little girl movie. Like the little boy, I am a tough guy, and I found this girly movie unacceptable. But after Jensen put the tiara on my head, I know longer had any masculinity to be spoken for. So I sat down on a cardboard box and watched The Princess Bride, and boy am I glad I did.

The Princess Bride offers all the cheesy dialouge of a classic B-movie, like Army of Darkness, combined with the typical modern Disney fairytale archetype. What results is a charming story full of sword fighting, evil enchanted forests, and true love.

This hybrid I felt worked very well, and probably is what serves to have it considered a classic. If you take into account the typical escapist qualities of both traditional B-movies and fairy tales, you can understand the mass appeal of a mix of both. The film is entertaining all the way through, I really wanted to see what came next.

My favorite part was probably Wallace Shawn's character Vizzini. Everytime he said inconceivable it hilarious. I have no idea why, now, in retrospect, I found it so funny. It was mostly the delivery, if I were to venture a guess.

I liked how homemade the movie looked - the special effects, in comparison with other moves around that time The Princess Bride almost seems purposefully retro. The film clearly did not have a large budget, and I feel that it's monetry constrainst are a huge part of why this film shines. It is not a summer special effects extravagana, and it seemed like all the actors knew it. They just had fun.

I too, like the grandson, was surprised by how much I enjoyed this fim. I would suggest this film to anbody, even tough guys like me.

1 comment:

Vladigogo said...

Yes, Wallace Shawn does make the film and even though it is 20 years old I still laugh at his character.

However, I find it inconceivable that you are able to bring in Sam Raimi with The Princess Bride.