Friday, June 23, 2006

Blade Runner - The Director's Cut

Blade Runner was one of the slowest movies I have ever had the misfortune to subject myself to. I watched more than three quarters of it and had enough. I could not bring myself to watch the last half hour or so. I like dramas and I usually love Harrison Ford movies, but I could not get into this movie. I know that is in part to what I was led to believe, that the movie was a must see. Nothing kills a movie for me, more than hype. So many times I have been told I have to see this or that movie and I have walked away thinking, “That’s it?” Often when that happens, if I at some point sit through the movie for a second time, I like it better. My expectations aren’t as high. Unfortunately, Blade Runner will not get that second chance. It’s just to slow for a movie I expected some action in. I expected a fast paced, riveting movie. Instead I got a movie I sat through and couldn’t wait for it to be over.

I think the movie does reflect the times though. People fear change. Technology was advancing at such a pace that people knew robots, etc., were an eventuality. Robots are a threat to humanity. Not only can robots be made to do everything better and more efficient than a human, the very idea of them turning on us is terrifying.

I don’t want to persuade anyone not to see it, but if you’re looking for a fast paced action movie, Blade Runner is not the movie you want to pop into the DVD player. Make sure you’ve got two hours of nothing to do, with no pressing responsibilities, and maybe you’ll be able to enjoy it.

No comments: